Purpose: “To provide an outstanding, unique, and coveted educational opportunity for the young women of our nation that instills the basic ideals and principles of American government through the American Legion Auxiliary Girls State and American Legion Auxiliary Girls Nation citizenship training programs.” POA
“A Week that Changes Lives!”
Visit the Girls State’s very own website…. PA Girls State
What is Keystone Girls State?
- Participants are assigned to mock cities and to either the “Federalist” or “Nationalist” party
- An amazing, week long, simulated government immersive learning experience by electing officials for all levels of state government
- The program’s nonpartisan governmental, patriotic, and civic objectives are carried out by interactive learning
- Develops leadership and pride in American citizens.
- Instills a greater understanding of American traditions.
- Stimulates a desire to maintain our democratic government processes within our republic
Who can attend?
- Be a legal inhabitant of the United States. Participants must provide a copy of their U.S. birth certificate or their U.S. government-issued documentation verifying they are in the United States legally, e.g. green card or visa.
- Have completed their junior year in high school and have at least one more semester remaining before graduation.
- Be keenly interested in government and current events.
- Have high moral character.
- Show strong leadership abilities.
- Demonstrate above-average scholastic achievement.
When is Girls State?
- June 18-24, 2017
- Shippensburg University
When is Girls Nation?
- Two (2) girls are selected to attend Girls Nation as ‘Senators’ in Washington D.C.
- This year ALA Girls Nation will convene July 2017
Keystone Girls State has a FaceBook Page. You are more than welcome to visit and/or join the group. View what past participants, counselors and staff have had to say about their experiences. You can also ask questions about expectations and experiences, someone will be sure to answer. The official page is www.facebook.com/PAGirlsState/ or @PAGirlsState.